Thursday, June 18, 2009

Change in attitude

The women have gone where the men didnt.. Well I am talking about the T20 World Cup thats going on. The Indian women's team (which I always hoped I would be a part off but that obviously didnt happen) played its semifinal against New Zealand and lost, rather badly I must add. There are times that we women are grateful that we dont have as much publicity as the men and yesterday was certainly one of those grateful days.

I am not an exponent of winning all matches that are played. I am infact practical enough to admit that its not possible win every match you play, be it men or women. But what is in our hands is to play 'like you want to win'. Now, that attitude can get you going and that way even if you lose you know you were beaten because the other team was better but not because your team was bad.

But can I say that of yesterday's match???? I really wonder if they were too over rawed by the magnanimity of the situation, being seen by millions of people perhaps, the women are not used to it!! Or am I making up reasons for them???

For a person who has been associated with the game for ten years and I have put my heart and soul into this game, I look deeper for reasons and the only one that comes to my mind is, did the Women's team give up even before they started palying the match? Had they lost even without the first ball being bowled? But why should they, for the New Zealand women too mustt have been under pressure? It is a big match and the anxiety levels are bound to be high for both teams alike. But apparently, the Indian women just couldn't handle it. Can we pass on the blame to others or will that not get us anywhere?

Let me think out loud, the Indian team was selected based on a few practice matches that were played between 30 cricketers chosen by the selectors. There arent too many playing the game, but are these the country's best 30 cricketers? I dont think so, there is more talent than what was put before us. There was no 20-20 domestic tournament that was played, maybe we could have unearthed some raw talent most useful for this format of the game.

We live in a country where temperatures are rocketing and we go a few days ahead of our scheduled practice matches to a country which has never seen temperatures of 30 C. So women dont have to get acclimatised to the conditions??? Beats me...

Well lots can be said of our loss but lingering in the past wont help, we need to look into the future. Wat can we do, without expecting too much from the system? We can change our mindset, thats a controllable factor and thats like hitting the nail on the head. We need to start believing in ourselves more and then we can achieve. This is not an overnight change but a gradual one that can be achieved with perseverence.

If anyone begs to differ please do let me know!!! ;)

No comments: